Tuesday, 28 April 2009

House

Today i thought i would post a couple of pictures of my latest big bargain find. I have always wanted a dolls house, but have been so restricted by the extortionate prices for even the most simplistic catalogue houses! I have dreamed of something a little bit different from the norm, and something less "flat-pack" looking. I had been looking on ebay for yonks and kept seeing the same old styles until i saw it. Yes it. My house! I think i was almost as excited about bidding for it as i would be for a real house.
Unusually, this house is made primarily from solid pine and MDF, it weighs the same as a large chest of draws! It is truly one of a kind, having been commissioned by a local carpenter by the previous owner, who constructed the entire thing based on a picture of a victorian dolls house. It is so beautiful. The front opens up revealing 4 rooms and two hallways with stairs, and the attic also opens at the top to show two more rooms there too! It is all wired up and ready to be decorated, although i have noted a few bits and bobs that i want to tidy up structurally before i do this (for example, fixing an invisible latch to the front, and tiling the roof and porch).






Our kittie Boo decided she had to be in this picture, and when this arrived she proved that the rooms inside are big enough for her to hide in.
The most satisfying part of this purchase, was that it cost me £77. Shipping it across England would have cost me at least this and more, but my wonderful boyfriend arranged a courier through his work, and they very kindly delivered it free of charge. I do love a good bargain. I can't wait to make little bits and pieces for this. Although, let it be known, dolls house dolls are a little too creepy for my liking. I think this will be a people-less house. I may stretch to a couple of cats. Which reminds me, i did see a miniature tortoise on ebay which would look great in the little garden area!
I will be posting more pictures of this once i have done a little to it! I think i have decided on decorating it in a 50's kind of theme. I had even considered a modern finish, but i think this might look a bit boring, and Victorian decor is just not my thing!
However, until my dreaded exams are far in the past, and the manic tour with the band is finished, i will not let myself do anything to this! It would be far too easy to procrastinate with my much more pressing issues!
More pictures of other finds tomorrow!
Thanks for reading! xx

1 comment:

  1. What a charming find! I can't wait to see what you do with the sweet little house. I think a 1950's theme sounds perfect! My dream house would be a pink or yellow Queen Anne Victorian home with lots of sweet 1950's decorations inside with a plethora of pretty florals!

    ReplyDelete