Wednesday, 29 April 2009

Sewing Sewing Sewing

It seems like i am cataloging rather than blogging right now! I am having much fun in doing so though. So today, i thought i would post a couple of sewing related pictures. My lovely boyfriend bought me a sewing machine for my 20th birthday in October. It is gorgeous. If our flat was burning down, i would probably grab that, my 1963 Playboy feat. Jayne Mansfield (what a hottie) and Boobalicious (the cat), and run like the wind. It has so many neat features, and still feels well oiled and brand spanking new. I love it.
All i want to do all day long is hunch over it and make clothes, repair clothes, customise, make soft furnishings etc etc etc. But alas, Band commitments and my degree prevent this from being such a regular thing. I do take comfort in dreaming that perhaps one day i may have my very own sewing room in a large house! Now that is living the dream.
So, less talk more photos. These are a small selection of recent-ish projects that i have completed:

Below, is a spur of the moment cushion i concocted entirely out of scrap fabric that has been festering in one of my sewing boxes. My sister donated the cushion inside, which was looking rather worn and tired, so i gave it a new lease of life by ripping it apart and stuffing it full of new padding. It was more than happy after it's little operation. I had been thinking about making a cushion for our nautical themed bathroom for a couple of weeks, and decided that an anchor motif would be relevant and simple!





Sometime last year i decided to make lots and lots of aprons from this pattern:


View 2 is the apron referred to here! I think my intention was to sell them (amongst other things) at a couple of local craft fairs, and maybe on Etsy or Ebay. My time management skills got the better of me and at present they lie sad and lonely in a case underneath my bed. There are lots of different colours and patterns, and most of them are one of a kind, having just bought one metre at a time of some fabrics which caught my eye! My mum had given me some fabric that were once cushions which she had sewn for her house with my dad when they were first married. I used this material (having to sew a couple of scraps together to fit the pattern!) to make one of the aprons, and decided to keep that one for myself. It is probably my favourite to look at, and also has a little bit of a sentimental value too! I like the idea of recycling fabric like this.





















My favourite and most used sewing creation over the past few months has been a babydoll nighty that i made (also from a vintage pattern). I chose some sweet looking checked silk cotton from the fabric shop in town, and some of my favourite frilly edging and away i went! There are pattern pieces for some large knickers to match, but for now i am pretty comfy with just my babydoll! The thing that is so nice about it, is that is has sooo much material that just cascades from the shoulders down, that i can toss and turn however i wish, and will not get caught up in it!



The hanger in these photos is also a recent-ish creation of mine. I made it to go with a fancy dress french maid outfit that i have. You may be able to see the buttons that i covered with silk at the ends too.




I feel like i have saturated this post with photos! But i will leave one more. This is a recent pattern that i bought off of Ebay for pennies. I am hoping to make the coat on it i
n time for the end of summer (That should be long enough!!!). Im not sure what fabric to do it in yet, but it will definately be a medium brown, probably a wool of some sort!
This was fun!
Until tommorow!

xxx


2 comments:

  1. These are adorable, Sophia! I've just bought a sewing machine, so I'll be coming to you for tips!

    And the photos are great, post more!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, these are all so lovely! What beautiful creations. The apron is my favorite, I absolutely adore the eyelet details. I have been wanting to find time to sew more lately as well.

    ReplyDelete