Monday, 25 January 2010

GIG face: Vivian Girls, Twee Off!

This weekend has been a bit of a musical extravaganza. Uh-huh.


Saturday night was Twee off at Norwich Arts Centre.



DSC_0040




It's a bi-monthly privilege for all residents of the Eastern regions, or those open to travel. 

Luckily, my hombres know where it's at.



DSC_0031


DSC_0028

DSC_0054

My band played the last one, along with one of my favourite bands of all time : Future of the Left. A band louder than fuck, and amazing. Just amazing. Even this little digressing trip down memory lane is giving me sexy shivers.


SO, this time around, the headliners were Vivian Girls - an NYC band who seem cute, popular with the people, and very NYC.


Opening the night were Norwich band Follow your Heart. If you have even the smallest soft spot for the Beach Boys you might like them.
Strangely soft rock and harmonies seemed to be the general theme for Twee Off on Saturday, a night renown for heaaavvvyy sounds. 

Both bands were all about dreamy, creamy sounds that i can imagine listening to in a field on a sunny day, slightly inebriated to the point of elation about life.

DSC_0073
Photo by Maxie G
 

Not usually my cup of tea  (milk and one sugar please), but pretty fun. 
 The bassist, through her enchanting sway, took me to a place where there was free love 70's style.


DSC_0061


The highlight of their set was a harmonised vocal number performed by all three girls, a la:


DSC_0085
Photo by Maxie G
 

Although enjoyable, i didn't quite see the total hype about this band. What i took away from the gig was that some musicians just can't look happy on stage, as well as an overwhelming desire that has developed to eat sausages and pancakes in a hip New York cafe with these girls, chit-chatting about tattoos.


Have you heard of either of these bands? What do you think of them?



LOVE LOVE LOVE
 xx




P.s. I tried this new thing with my hair. Seamy.


DSC_0014


P.P.S.

4 comments:

  1. I was going to catch the Vivian Girls up here last week but was too tired after work... I suspected I wasn't going to kick myself too much for missing it. Ta for confirming it! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Beach Boys! I will have to check them out!

    Love your hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh myyy!! i love Vivian Girls! jealous of youuu xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooft! HOW DO YOU DO THAT WITH YOUR HAIR?! I must know. Also, I have this thing left over from my early teens where I love all-girl bands. But not like Girls Aloud all-girl bands, obvs. Ones where people actually play instruments...

    http://dreamingspiresandoldcartyres.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete